Job Description and Application
Role and Responsibilities:
The control systems engineer provides specific value in developing and integrating automation applications for industrial plant environments. Delivers support to project management throughout the life of the project from project conception through preliminary design, final design, installation, check-out, start-up and on-going support phases. Utilizes PLC and HMI programming tools and techniques, implements applications, supports the resolution of problems and develops documentation of the resolution. The control systems engineer must have a keen desire to go beyond the minimum expectation to guarantee excellent customer service delivery.
Primary Job Duties:
- Provides technical support and analysis for installed control systems.
- Develops PLC programs along with HMI graphics for specific projects.
- Performs engineering calculations following standard methods and principles and applies engineering judgment where experience dictates.
- Assists in the development of project specifications, estimates, change orders and schedules.
- Manages assigned portions of project and is proactive in problem identification and resolution.
- Gathers information that is relevant to a problem and brings information to the team for discussion. Develops alternatives, and receives assistance in identifying alternatives
- Assists other engineers and project managers in performing aspects of projects, both in the office and at the customer’s site.
- Occasionally works with vendors to procure equipment and materials.
- Supports plant electrical personnel by understanding, designing, and troubleshooting electrical control circuits.
- Assists in the design of electrical circuits for instrumentation, motor control, and other electrical controls
- Occasionally supervises other engineers and designers
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Helpful, serving, courteous attitude, and demeanor
- Understands PLC system architecture layouts and control equipment usage
- Able to specify PLC I/O addressing and assignments
- Able to program PLCs (i.e.: ControlLogix 5000, SLC 500 and Modicon)
- Setup and configuration of HMI workstations, (i.e.: iFIX, Wonderware, PanelView)
- Understands common network topology and functionality
- Can operate a computer-assisted design/drafting program software environment.
- Proficient computer experience using standard office programs like Microsoft Word and Excel
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field
- Three years of experience or five years of experience in lieu of education
- Experience designing industrial electrical controls and coordinating with original equipment manufacturers.
- Experience designing control network infrastructures.
- Experience reading and understanding drawings and blueprints.
- Knowledge of NEC and industrial best practices.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Must be able to continuously sit
- Must be able to walk to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Must be able to push, pull, reach, bend, squat, crawl, kneel and climb occasionally
- Subject to environmental conditions inside and out such as: extreme heat, extreme cold, wind and humidity. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions not included above.
- Subject to noise levels above OSHA thresholds which will require PPE
- Is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.